Please read carefully. There are changes since last year.
- All entrants must be at least eighteen years of age, and a current resident of Maui County with valid ID of residency.
- All Art Maui entries must be original and have been created within the last two years independently and without supervision. Works executed in a workshop under another artist’s supervision are not eligible.
- Works may not have been exhibited in any venue in Maui County. If any number within an edition has been shown, no other duplicate piece within the edition may be entered.
PREPARATION OF ENTRIES
- All entries must be finished and ready for display on arrival for Receiving Day.
- No wet works will be accepted.
- No varnishing or touch-up after submission.
- Two-dimensional work must be properly framed, mounted and wired. Wires only, no “saw tooth” hangers.
- Wrapped canvas is permitted on paintings provided the edges are painted.
- Maximum wall size for 2D art is 6′ wide by 10′ high.
- 2D multi-panel art must comply with maximum wall size above, is limited to diptychs (2) and triptychs (3) only, and will be juried as one piece.
- Art with audio must have a volume control and a single on/off switch.
- Electronic/digital artworks must be completely operational with the flick of a switch or be “plug and play” ready. Artists are responsible for any peripheral devices (e.g., electrical cords, tape, etc.)
- Heavy sculptures should be well balanced and able to stand freely. Sculptures with display bases should be secured and works must be delivered on a dolly to facilitate moving during jurying.
- Giclees and other reproduction methods will only be accepted for two-dimensional artwork like photography or computer generated art that requires printing to complete and present the finished piece. No reproductions of any original artworks or any 3D art will be allowed.
- Art Maui assumes no responsibility for live plants submitted as part of a work. Artist must maintain any plants throughout the exhibit.
- No separate Verbiage/Poetry/Written explanation of art will be displayed beside the accepted piece.
- If these criteria are not met, your piece may be disqualified before jurying with no refund.
INSTALLATION ART REQUIREMENTS
- Installation art will be juried based on a proposal.
- The proposal must include:
› A written descriptive statement
› A digital image of the assembled piece
› A drawn diagram
› A list of all components
› Dimensions (maximum size 6′ wide by 6′ deep by 10′ high) and weight
› Technical requirements, for gallery standards of safety review
- The piece must be installed as shown in the submitted proposal
- Substitutions for accepted artwork will not be permitted
- Two copies of installation submission proposals are required. Art Maui will submit one copy to the Juror for consideration, and one copy to the Gallery Director for safety feasibility approval from the MACC.
- Installation art proposals are due to Art Maui by March 1, 2012, and must include entry fee and all necessary contact information.
- Send your installation art proposal (remember, 2 copies!) to Art Maui, PO Box 1054, Pu`unene, HI 96784.
- Artists whose installation proposal is selected will be notified to bring their work to the gallery for installation on Monday, March 19th between 1 to 5 p.m. Please do not bring it on receiving day.
- Artists may submit a total of two works; cost per entry is $20.00. Works will be juried by an independent juror, and the decision of the juror is final. There are no refunds of the entry fee(s).
- Art Maui reserves the right to refuse any entry that presents complex exhibition or assembly problems due to excessive size, weight, or difficulty in presentation. If in doubt, contact Art Maui prior to submitting.
- Artists are responsible for delivery and pick-up of their work. Works must be taken directly to and from the Art Maui receiving area. Displaying work elsewhere on MACC property is not allowed.
- Artists are responsible for shipping of all sold work.
- All accepted artists for exhibition must sign up for at least one four-hour shift of gallery-sitting during the Art Maui exhibit.
- Accepted art may be photographed for educational or publicity purposes.
- All artists must sign the liability release.
- Late fees of $25 per day with a maximum of 2 days will be charged to artist for non-selected works left after published pick-up day, and exhibited work after final pick-up day at close of show. All art not picked up on published dates will be removed from the MACC gallery. If still uncollected and late fees unpaid after two days, the art will be donated to charitable auctions. No exceptions.
- Art Maui’s commission is 50% of the sale price. It is suggested that all art be for sale with the artist’s price reflecting the fair market value of his or her work.
- Art Maui will collect General Excise Tax of 4.166% on the sale price for all works sold during the exhibition. Any other tax liabilities, to include any other excise tax liabilities, are solely the responsibility of the artist.
- Art Maui will encourage the purchase of works by the general public throughout the exhibition, including the private Purchase Pledge Preview Event prior to the public opening.
- The State Foundation on Culture and the Arts will also consider purchases from the Art Maui 2012 exhibition.